Thursday, August 20, 2009

Delhi. India

FINALLY WE ARE HERE! After what seemed like days.. i think it was actually... we made it to Delhi. Actually just 2 of the 3 of us are here. Sabrina had a 17 hour layover in Singapore so she will be joining us later tonight. After spending a few good hours at Frankfurt airport, I hopped on my next flight to Delhi. 6 hours and 45 minutes later, viola! Here I am! Taylor was waiting ever so patiently outside of customs for me because her flight had arrived 2 hours prior. We were hoping a friend named Shekhar would be there to pick us up but it was unclear whether he was going to be able to.. As we walk up to grab a pre-paid taxi (I say pre-paid but it's way too easy to get scammed) Shekhar runs up behind us! oh thank you Lord! By this time it had to be 1:30 am Delhi time... We drove until we found the hotel Tay had booked for us... The Rak International. As we pull up there is a herd of cattle sleeping outside of the hotel, pretty typical I suppose. Note to self: maybe don't travel to India in August next time. It literally might be hotter than hell. Not only is it incredibly hot, it is even more humid.. Not to mention all the dust that doesn't really help out the situation.
Taylor and I were thrilled to see our little room had a shower.. well I guess you could call it that. It spritzes water but that's about it. Another note to self: next time bring toilet paper. Anyways- we were exhausted but not sure how the how sleeping thing would work because our room felt like a sauna and our bodies still thought we were on California time... Trying to sleep was a little but of a joke. I think maybe we got 2 hours of shut eye, glorious! To our surprise we woke up this morning, bright-eyed and ready to explore. First stop, Chai tea from a street vendor- check! We wandered the streets for a couple hours and then headed back to take another shower, covered in sweat is not my idea of a good time. Now we are off to catch a rickshaw and head to the market! Needless to say, I love it here. The people are incredible and it is nothing like home.. actually probably the most polar opposite place from California I could ever imagine.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment